PORTFOLIO / LIFE INSURANCE REVIEW
Your life insurance policies ideally should be reviewed annually. With that review, you may find that your life insurance is not aligned with your current needs and objectives, or it is not performing as expected, or you may want a better understanding of what you own.
Life Insurance items that can be reviewed:
- Potentially lower your premium or increase coverage for same premium
- Policies 10+ years old, is the policy outdated?
- Are you over or under insured?
- Have your needs or objectives changed?
- Will it be taxed in your estate? (The death benefit may increase the taxable estate 37% - 50%)
WEALTH ACCUMULATION – “ROTH IRA ALTERNATIVE”
Cash value life insurance offers insured individuals both financial security and a tax-deferred and potentially tax-free way of positioning additional funds for retirement using tax efficiency, similar to a ROTH IRA.
This type of insurance may be beneficial for:
- Ages 30-55
- Systematic investor (e.g. $10k+ per year) and maxed out 401(k) or other retirement plan annual contributions
- Has a 10+ year investment horizon, likes tax deferred growth
- Would like the potential for tax-free income at retirement
- A plan that “self-completes” in event of premature death
LONG-TERM CARE PLANNING - PRESERVE & PROTECT RETIREMENT PORTFOLIO
Many are now concerned with the costs associated with medical expenses and the cost of long-term care.
Long-Term Care planning requires planning ahead:
- Ages 45-70
- Individuals with the desire to protect retirement portfolio, family and legacy
- You may have experienced a LTC event from direct family or indirectly through friends
- Business owner who is interested in a tax-deductible way to protect their retirement portfolio
- Executive with significant retirement portfolio with NQDC/SERP and/or 401(k)
- Interested in a tax-free benefit to pay for extended healthcare in home
- Owns a whole life or UL policy with large cash values that can be exchanged for a linked benefit/ LTC contract
- Has set aside a “rainy day” fund in a CD or savings account to cover an extended healthcare need
- Owner of an individual DI contract that expires upon retirement (can protect income in retirement)
Business owners can utilize insurance in a variety of ways to properly prepare and tackle goals which is a key component to business success.
Life Insurance can be utilized to assist business planning objectives:
- Succession Planning; Transfer of business to family or pass to another chosen person(s)
- Buy-Sell, Cross-Purchase Agreements; Protect the fair market value of the business in the event of death, disability or retirement with a discounted dollar method
- Supplemental retirement plan for self and/or key employees
WEALTH TRANSFER / INCOME TAX PLANNING
You may have assets that are not aligned with your current objectives. Or you may have assets that are not required during your retirement income years even. Federal estate and state taxes can shrink an estate over 50%.
Gifting and Trust strategies may position you for current and future taxation planning:
- Age 55+
- High net worth and want to keep wealth in the family
- If you have a large deferred annuity, don’t want children to pay income and/or estate taxes on this annuity
- No longer needs asset for security or income
- Wants to continue tax deferral
- Likes investment diversification
- Creditor & Predator protection
- Charitably inclined
IRA PRESERVATION OR STRETCH IRA
If you are nearing or entering retirement, your focus may shift from building retirement assets to distributing or relocation of those assets.
Insurance planning may help if:
- Age 60+
- Have a significant IRA
- No longer needs asset or part of asset for income
- Recognize the opportunity to continue tax deferral for decades
- Like investment diversification
- You do not want children to pay income and/or estate taxes on this IRA
INHERITANCE / CHARITY TRANSFER
The use of life insurance is often secured to magnify donations and tax deductions and/or to replace wealth passed to heirs after gifting assets.
Gifting strategies may position you for current and future taxation planning:
- Age 65+
- Would like to guarantee inheritance to children
- Interested in leveraging assets to benefit their heirs and/ or community through charitable giving